9.10.08

advertisement replication exercise

In our first Photoshop training exercise, my class was asked to choose a print ad, and replicate it from scratch using the various tools of Photoshop. The ad I chose first ran in The New Yorker for Target. Seen here:


And here is the reproduction I created:


The first step in recreating the original image was to use the gradient tool to mimic the background. From there I used the rectangle select tool to build up the basic shape of the skyscraper. Then, using a one or two pixel brush, I drew in the details of the building while doing a side-by-side comparison with the original. After this was completed, I used the circle select tool to recreate the target shapes, trying to match the red of the original as closely as possible. I used the same method to reproduce the small, white Target logo in the upper left corner. Finally I used a tiny brush to draw in the stars, using landmarks from the original (such as the building and target shapes) to approximate their positions.

I feel it is a fairly faithful reproduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment